Elijah & Mommy

Elijah & Mommy

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

DIY Pull String Pinata!


I have seen a bunch of pins on Pinterest of DIY Pinata's so I decided to give it a try for my son's 3rd birthday party. Since we didn't need something huge so I used an empty brownie mix box (the large ones you get at wholesale stores like BJ's and Sam's Club). The ages of the kids were under 5 so I knew I wanted to do a pull string pinata and not have to worry about a bunch of toddlers and preschoolers wacking each other with a bat. The whole project was not as complicated as I thought it would be when I first started! :)

SUPPLIES:
-Cardboard Box (any size...depending on the amount of candy/treats you want inside)
-Tissue Paper and/or Crepe Paper (Whatever color matches your theme)
-Ribbon
-Glue
-Box Cutter/Xacto Knife
-Paint (Whatever color matches your theme.)
-Paint Brush
-Cut Outs or Stickers to decorate the finished pinata (Optional)

DIRECTIONS:

1. The first thing I did was make a flap on the bottom of the box for the candy/treats to fall out of. And make small slits for the ribbons to go through.

2. I painted the top and bottom of the box with the black paint.

3. Next I took the black crepe paper and began to wrap and glue it all around the box.

4. When the entire box was covered I decorated it with a skull and cross bones, the words "AHOY" and the number 3. I used my Cricut machine to make all of these but you can decorate it with whatever materials you want to use!

4. Next I added all the ribbons! For the "winning" string make sure you knot it and put some tape over the knot so it will open the flap when pulled.

5. The bottom should stay closed when you push it in. If for some reason it doesn't apply some tape.

6. Fill the pinata with the candy/goodies.

7. Add a ribbon on top so you can hold the pinata from.


*The pinata worked out GREAT and it doesn't get destroyed so it can be reused!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment